Three Walks: A Triptych.

Disatisfied Hedonist

I rise and fall,
and each time I curse
my destination.
If it doesn't move
How do I know it's breathing?
Why can't it meet me half way?

Who is satisfied with
these trinkets?
and chasing clouds of elation,
digging into shards of persons
to sustain orgasm?
I may be moving
but I'm still on the road
and sick of the air out here


Disatisfied Legalist

I climb and sink,
and forever I curse
my pitiful flesh
always battling fatigue.
There's a top to the ladder
but the climbing makes me sweat.

My luminous codes of conduct are jewelry,
I am distinguished by denial
and from here I can see a landscape
of festering sinners;
eating their own destruction
and expelling filth upon filth.
But I, I, I have escaped.
I can still see them far below.


Justified, Enabled.

I walk, I stumble,
and each time I can stand
with just enough strength for the trial.
Although I am beaten and bruised
my appetites are not searching
for stimulation, comfort or status.

I have achieved nothing
by my own fortitude
save a realisation
that I can achieve nothing
by my own fortitude.
All change is mercy
built upon the self-sacrifice of someone
far more significant than me.


Written December 2010.

If you focus on sanctification without thinking of your justification you either become a self-righteous pharisee, or burnt-out. In other words, trying to change your actions without daily and humbly recognising your change in status made through the cross of Christ does not work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8 or 9

Reviving the blog: Catching up on publications...

An Array of Vapour - Matthew Heasman's endorsement and New Hope